Mar 22, 2010

Tara Donovan

[Tara Donovan, Untitled, made from paper plates]
The first time I experienced Tara Donovan's work, my jaw literally dropped.  You've probably inferred by now that I enjoy contemporary artwork that is surprising, affecting and unusual or new and innovative.  Donovan's work goes fits right into all those categories, and I would add a description of whimsical as well.  Donovan's work is usually made up of mundane, everyday objects like scotch tape, finish wire, styrofoam cups and drinking straws to name a few.  She transforms these objects (and I don't use the word transform lightly, trust me) into amazing sculptures and installations.
Its fun to interact with her artwork, especially those sculptures that you can walk under or inside.  Like this one which I've seen covering an entire gallery ceiling at Ace, as well as the entrance ceiling to the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego.
I love her process which usually involves the help of a large amount of people working together.  This one is made out of fishing wire, it always baffles me as to how it looks so blue.  I suppose that fishing wire has the tiniest tint of blue and when multiplied by thousands, will look very much that color?
 Also one of my favorites is this (close up image) of a sculpture made of scotch tape.  Knowing how frequently I get frustrated just dealing with small pieces of tape, I can appreciate the amount of work and patience this must have taken.  Love her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment